It is a regulation-palooza! Accountability, English learners, Vocational Education and the Seal of Biliteracy are all on the list!
The Board of Elementary and Secondary Education (BESE) will meet Monday March 26, and Tuesday March 27 at the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE) in Malden. The full meeting packet and handouts will be available online.
To get you warmed up, here are some highlights and previews of the proposed changes to regulations. Keep in mind, public comment does not open until BESE formally votes to send the proposed changes out for a 60 day public comment period. We will post more on each of the proposed changes to regulations in the next few weeks.
On the agenda this month:
March 26, 2018 5:30-7:30 pm
Competency-Based Education and Personalized Learning Discussion.. Includes school leaders from Massachusetts public schools, representatives from the New England Consortium of Secondary Schools (NESSC) and the Massachusetts Personalized Learning Edtech Consortium (MAPLE).
March 27, 2018 8:30-1:30 pm
- BESE Agenda
- Board Briefing
- Lawrence and Holyoke Update
- School Safety Briefing (with state laws, regulations and proposed motion by BESE)
- Proposed Changes to English Learner and Vocational Licensing Regulations Briefing
- 603 CMR 4.00 – Proposed changes to Vocational Technical Education Licenses
- 603 CMR 7.00 – Proposed changes to Academic educator licenses
- 603 CMR 14.00 – Proposed changes to endorsements
- 603 CMR 44.00 – Proposed change to academic license renewal
- Final Approval – Special Education Regulations 603 CMR 28.10 (ESSA Foster Care Provisions) Includes public comment and DESE responses.
- Proposed Changes to 603 CMR 2.00 Accountability for Schools and Districts
- Pioneer Valley Chinese Immersion Charter School – Review of Commissioner’s Decision
- Recommended Probationary Conditions for Greenfield Commonwealth of Massachusetts Virtual School