- Defines a Bilingual Education program to include dual language program, transitional bilingual education or other approved program.
- Replaces the Transitional Bilingual Learning endorsement with a new Bilingual Education endorsement.
- Bilingual Learning endorsement language includes passing score on a foreign language test, completion of an approved program and a 150-hour field experience. See full proposed language below.
- Bilingual Learning endorsement will be required for teachers employed in any type of Bilingual Education program who is a core academic teacher proving instruction in a language other than English.
603 CMR 7.14 (3) Bilingual Education Endorsement
(a) Bilingual Education Endorsement is to be awarded to educators who meet all of the following requirements
- A passing score on a foreign language test acceptable to the Department in the relevant foreign language
- Demonstration of the subject matter knowledge and skill requirements set forth in 603 CMR 7.14(3)(b), through one of the following:
a. Successful completion of a Department-approved course of study for providing bilingual education.The Department shall issue guidelines for approval of this course of study.
b. A passing score on a test acceptable to the Department.
- Completion of 150 hours of field-based experience in a Pre-K through grade 12 transitional bilingual, two-way immersion, or other bilingual education setting.
(b) Subject Matter Knowledge:
- Knowledge of the foundations of bilingual education and the concepts of bilingualism and biculturalism.
- Bilingual language acquisition factors as they affect access to the Massachusetts content and language standards.
- Social-cultural, social-emotional, political, and other salient factors in bilingual language acquisition.
- Implementation of strategies for coordinating non-English partner language instruction and English language development instruction for English learners.
- Practices and approaches of teaching reading and writing in two languages, including the importance of oral language development as a foundation for literacy.
- Practices and approaches for assessing content knowledge, reading and writing skills and comprehension in English and the non-English partner language for English learners who are at different levels of proficiency in English and the non-English partner language.
- Understanding and implementation of culturally relevant teaching materials and practices.
(c) A candidate who fulfills the requirement in 603 CMR 7.14(3)(a)1 and has at least three years of prior employment experience in a two-way immersion, transitional bilingual education, or other bilingual education setting, and who can demonstrate that he or she meets the subject matter knowledge and skills requirements set forth in 603 CMR 7.14(3)(b), will be exempt from the requirements set forth in 603 CMR 7.14(3)(a)2-3 if he or she applies to the Department for the Bilingual Education Endorsement by June 30, 2019 and completes all of the requirements by December 31, 2019.
(d) A candidate who was prepared outside of Massachusetts shall not be required to complete the requirements set forth in 603 CMR 7.14(3) (a)1-3 if such candidate can provide documentation of one of the following:
- Completion of an educator preparation program that includes the equivalent of the Department-approved course of study specific to providing services to English learners and is either state-approved under the National Association of State Directors of Teacher Education and Certification (NASDTEC) Interstate Agreement or has been accredited by a national organization accepted by the Commissioner.
- Possession of an out-of-state license/certificate/endorsement that is comparable to the Bilingual Education Endorsement issued by a state with which Massachusetts has signed the NASDTEC Interstate Agreement or other agreement accepted by the Commissioner.
(e) The Bilingual Education Endorsement shall be valid for five years and may be renewed for successive five-year terms upon successful completion of 15 professional development points (PDPs) in the content area related to 603 CMR 7.14(3)(b). The 15 PDPs may be included in the total number of PDPs necessary for license renewal pursuant to 603 CMR 44.06: Educator License Renewal.