Despite the clear position of Massachusetts voters calling for No More Charter Schools, we are graced with SIX applications for new charter schools in Massachusetts. We will find out in August how many schools are seeking to add more seats to existing charter schools.
Edit: See the updated post here!
The new charter school application process is specified by Massachusetts statute. The Commissioner can establish specific dates within the requirements of the statute. This timeline for this year is below:
- June 3, 2019 – Letters of intent due
- July 16, 2019 – Prospectus due
- September 2019- Invitation to submit final application – Commissioner decision
- October 16, 2019 – Final applications due
- November 2019 – Hearing will be scheduled after final applications are submitted. The hearing must be in the district where the school is to be located.
- Commissioner will review applications and make a recommendation to the Board of Elementary and Secondary Education (BESE)..
- January 2020 BESE meeting – BESE may discuss recommendations
- February 2020 BESE meeting – BESE will vote on DESE/Commissioner recommendations
Requests to amend existing charters to expand enrollment and/or grade range are due on August 1, 2019. The process to consider expansion requests is determined by the Commissioner; there are no statutory requirements.
More information on the charter school application process is available here.
Stay tuned to our #CharterSchools tag for updates.