Take a look at the application for the Felix Commonwealth Virtual School.Public comment is now open for new statewide virtual school until December 22, 2023.
Commonwealth Virtual Schools (CMVS) are state wide or regional virtual schools that enroll students at no cost to families. CMVS schools are required by statute to employ Massachusetts-licensed educators, participate in the MCAS assessments and adhere to most other school state and federal requirements for public school programs.
There are currently two statewide CMVS schools operating – TEC Connections Academy Commonwealth Virtual School (TECCA) and Greater Commonwealth Virtual School (GCVS). A proposal for a new CMVS has been submitted for approval:
|Proposed CMVS Name||Proposed Enrollment Region||Proposed Grades||Proposed Max Enrollment||Proposed Opening Year|
|Felix Commonwealth Virtual School||Statewide||7-12||4,000||2025-26|
The final application is subject to public comment and several more rounds of reviews.
- The public may submit written public comment until Friday, December 22, 2023. Written comments should be submitted to VirtualSchools@mass.gov.
- Department staff and external review panelists with expertise in education, virtual education, and governance will review and evaluate the proposal based on the criteria outlined in the CMVS application requirements
- Public hearing regarding the final application in early December 2023, at the McCormack Building, 1 Ashburton Place, Boston on the 21st Floor Conference Rooms 1 and 2.
- Review of the applicant’s learning management system as well as an interview of the applicant group.
- Commissioner Riley will then review all of the materials and decide whether to recommend the proposal to the Board of Elementary and Secondary Education (BESE) for certificate award by the February 2024 BESE meeting.
Full Application for Felix Commonwealth Virtual School: